There is a standard format recommended to name folders, pages, and uploaded files in the WCMS.
A. How to Name a Page or Folder
Create a new folder or file.
When you create a page or folder, you will need to give it a System Name. The system name is the name of the page/folder used in the folder tree, as well as in the URL.
The system name must:
- be entirely in lowercase
- use hyphens (-) for spaces for System Names containing multiple words.
For example we have a new page that we want to call "Name of the Page".
Incorrect System Names:
- Name of the Page
- name of the page
Correct System Name:
Give the page a Display Name. The Display Name is what will actually appear on the site, in the navigation.
B. Naming Uploaded Files
Select New >> Default >> File to upload your file.
Select the file you want to upload. By default, the name of the file you selected becomes the System Name.
Clean up your file name prior to submitting the file.
- Remove any spaces, underscores, or extraneous numbers/dates.
- Check that the file name is in lowercase and use hyphens (-) instead of spaces or underscores.
- Make sure the file extension (.jpg, .mp4, etc.) remains in the file name.
Examples of poor file names:
- Infographic Beneath the Surface.jpg
- Video background1_3.mp4
Examples of acceptable file names: